FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Wednesday 30 November 2011

30 Days of Lipstick, Day 24: Besame Classic Colour Lipstick in Carmine

On Day 24 I was in a retro kind of mood, so I opted for a lipstick with a vintage, glamorous feel. This choice was Besame Cosmetics Classic Colour Lipstick in Carmine (found at besamecosmetics.com). Founded in 2004, Besame Cosmetics aims to create products that evoke the classic aesthetic of the starlets and pinups (and in the case of the founder, her grandmother) of the '40s and '50s. Their packaging and design hark back to an era where a lipstick touch-up was a true moment of femininity and precision.

Classic Colour Lipsticks come in sleek gilded tubes further housed in a plush velvet pouch. Here is a picture:
 
The luxurious and retro packaging of Besame Classic Color Lipstick (picture from besamecosmetics.com)


I recently received a sample kit of Besame lipsticks in a makeup swap. The downside is that the samples do not come in this luxurious packaging- the upside is that I have been able to test out several shades, which has been fun! Of all the colours I've sampled so far, my favourite has been Carmine, a matte tomato red. It is similar to NARS Semi-Matte Lipstick in Heat Wave (used in my Modern Starlet tutorial here: http://vibrantbeautyblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/photo-tutorial-how-to-master-modern-40s.html ), but definitely has a stronger orange tone to it and has a completely matte finish.

Here are a couple pictures of it in the sample pot:

Besame Cosmetics Classic Colour Lipstick in Carmine- sample pot

Besame Carmine in sample pot



And here are a few pictures of me wearing it:



Me wearing Besame Classic Color Lipstick in Carmine

In sunlight





The Verdict:

Pros:
  • Even without the classic packaging, using this lipstick truly makes me feel like a '40s starlet!
  • A flattering warm-toned red for fair skin
  • Despite the matte finish, it did not leave my lips parched
  • Long-wearing formula

Cons:

  • Besame products may be hard to find in Canada
  • This shade may not work as well for those with cool-toned skin with pink undertones

Overall, Besame lipsticks are a pleasure to wear and live up to their claims of achieving a vintage look and feel. Carmine is now my go-to tomato red when I want to feel like a classic screen siren! Because it is quite similar to NARS Heat Wave, I will probably not buy the full size, but I will enjoy the sample thoroughly while it lasts! :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like this on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's one of the most flattering reds I've ever tried :)

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)