- The Promise: "See no makeup. Feel no makeup. First-ever IntuiTone™ technology guarantees your true-to-life shade and keeps it real in every light. Fresh, flawless, radiant. Ultra light, ultra breathable, oil-free. It will change how you feel about makeup forever. In long-lasting shades for every beautiful skintone. Weightless, buildable coverage. Air-infused with every shake. Blends so perfectly for the look and feel of bare skin-only better. Lasts all day. Controls excess oil. Won't clog pores." (from www.esteelauder.com)
|Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid Makeup, Shade 1N1|
- Shade: 1N1 (lightest in the neutral colour range)
- Colour Match: Perfect! Not too yellow or pink, light or dark. Became invisible on my skin.
- Application: Smooth application, melts into skin, dewy finish. Took a while to "set" into skin, but did become less moist after several minutes.
- Coverage: Light to moderate, buildable
- Wear: To be honest, I didn't give this foundation a fair shake in terms of assessing its long-wear potential. I applied it a couple of hours before going to the gym, then proceeded to sweat and wash it off. My sense, however, was that this wouldn't have gone the distance on my combination-oily skin. The finish was a bit too dewy.
- Verdict: Overall, this foundation offered natural looking coverage and the shade I was given was an excellent match for my skin tone. This might be a suitable option for someone with normal to dry near-perfect skin, but was not quite right for me!
- The Promise: "PERFECTION LUMIÈRE controls every detail of a perfect complexion to offer a tailor-made result... Its light, fluid texture glides on seamlessly with adjustable yet lightweight coverage for perfect results. The skin-embracing texture becomes one with the face, following its every movement. Its Perfect Skin Affinity complex ensures a second-skin effect and perfect foundation hold for 15 hours. Its universal shades are easy to wear, so that each woman can find her ideal colour. The result: “Multi-faceted” radiance, colour, comfort and matte finish. Perfect correction of all types of imperfections: redness and dark spots, complexion evenness. Optimal radiance created by the patented Perfect Light Control complex for an even, luminous complexion all day long" (from www.chanel.com)
|Chanel Perfection Lumiere, Shade 10 Beige|
- Shade: Beige 10 (lightest of the neutral shades)
- Colour Match: A touch too dark/yellow (as you can tell from the middle photo), but luckily did not oxidize further (darken or orange) over the course of the day. This might be a better shade for summer time when I'm slightly more tanned.
- Application: Thin texture, a bit more effort to blend, dried quickly to a powdery finish.
- Coverage: Moderate to full
- Wear: Left me relatively shine-free for 8 hours- no blotting! Settled into dry patches somewhat, but it didn't highlight pores or cake up
- The Verdict: Impressed with the wear and the coverage (albeit slightly heavy-feeling), but there was nothing unique or luxurious enought about this to be worth the money (more than $50 CAD)!
- The Promise: "A liquid foundation that provides SPF 25 protection and a flawless, second-skin finish. Infused with Dior's smart skin-shaping Skincare Essence, this formula becomes one with the skin for a flawless complexion all day long. The soft and velvety fluid melts weightlessly into the skin for an ultra-smooth, even complexion and visibly perfect skin day after day." (From sephora.com)
|Dior Skin Forver Liquid Foundation, Shade 010 Ivory|
- Shade: 010 Ivory (the lightest colour offering)
- Colour Match: Quite good! The photos make it appear slightly orange on my NC15-20 skin, but I did not detect this in real life.
- Coverage: Moderate to full
- Application: Smooth, easy to blend, velvet finish that soon dries down to semi-matte.
- Wear: The shade didn't oxidize, but my face was quite shiny after 6 hours. Also felt rather heavy on my skin by the end of the day.
- The Verdict: Great formula, coverage, and colour match, but not enough oil control! The eventual heavy feel was also a turn off.
- The Promise: "Innovative, oil-free gel foundation with refreshing, lightweight texture. Light-reflective circular pigment provides adjustable coverage. Contains 60% charged water and seaweed. Protective field prevents water evaporation, blocks environmental oxidation" (from www.chantecaille.com)
|Chantecaille Future Skin in Alabaster|
|Under artificial light|
- Shade: Alabaster (third lightest shade, neutral undertone)
- Colour Match: Slightly pale on my NC15-20 skin, but setting powder and a touch of bronzer remedied this!
- Application: Creamy liquid that melts into skin with a watery feel. More glowy than dewy; didn't take long to set.
- Coverage: Light to moderate, buildable. Concealer definitely needed on blemishes, redness, and other discolourations
- Wear: Started to fade and cling to dry spots slightly after 6 hours, but no shine! Faded "gracefully". (i.e., did not get blotchy or spotty, and did not oxidize throughout the course of the day).
- The Verdict: I kind of fell in love with this foundation. Because my skin struggles with breakouts and redness, my comfort zone has always been with fuller-coverage foundations. This is the first light-coverage base I've tried that gives my skin a healthy glow without quickly fading or a greasy finish. My sense is that it might not hold up to Toronto's hot, humid summer weather, but if I have a few dollars to spare when the colder months arrive, I might eventually pick this up!
- The Promise: "A shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation. Hides imperfections, evens out skintone, and mattifies with a non-oily, perfectly powdered finish. The result is flawless and lasts for hours." (From www.sephora.com)
|Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet Liquid Foundation #25|
- Shade: #25 (#20 would have been a more ideal match, but Sephora was out of that shade at the time)
- Colour Match: Too pinky/grey-ish on my NC15-20 skin, which you can tell from the photos (wish I could have tried #20!). Setting powder and bronzer helped this, though!
- Application: Thick liquid that dries down to a powdery finish- somewhere between semi-matte and matte. Sets quickly.
- Coverage: Moderate to full; barely needed concealer over top!
- Wear: Several hours shine-free, but gets slightly cakey and heavy by the end of the day (which may be hard to avoid with fuller-coverage foundations).
- The Verdict: Overall, there was a lot to like about this foundation- particularly the excellent coverage and oil control. Despite the aforementioned claims, however, this still did not surpass Revlon ColourStay in my books. The application may have been to blame (using a brush may have sheered things out a bit), but I did not appreciate how heavy and mask-like this began to feel as the hours passed.
Thanks for reading!