FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Currently Obsessed: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette

Let me shout it from the rooftops: I love a good blush! This fact was particularly true in 2014, which was a huge year for cheek colour in my stash. I spent a good portion of the year on a lipstick buying ban, which inevitably led me to acquire all.the.blushes. Of all the lovely new formulas I encountered, my firm favourites were the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blushes. You can check out more extensive reviews and raves here and here but, in sum, these blushes are the best! They're soft, pigmented, extremely long-wearing, and give cheeks the most beautiful glow. When I heard that Hourglass was releasing a trio of these blushes in palette form (and that I didn't own any of the shades in this palette!), I knew I'd I'd have to make it mine. 


The palette comes in a shiny golden box with a sleek, minimalistic feel:


The palette itself is likewise gold and reflective and is made out of lightweight, yet seemingly sturdy plastic:

Can you spot the kitty?!

Upon opening the palette, the most stunning trio of cheek colours is revealed. Each shade is a marbled mixture of a pretty pop of colour and one of Hourglass' Ambient Lighting Powders, which add an extra dose of luminous glow. 


Each blush in the palette is smaller than the original Ambient Lighting Blushes, but not terribly so (.11oz vs .15oz). Here's a side-by-side shot for comparison: 


Each of the shades in the palette is utterly gorgeous. Yes, I'm smitten, but in this case, love is not blind. I mean, look at these colours! Here they are swatched along my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone). Once again, Sadie could not stay away from the camera!

(L-R): Ambient Lighting Blush Palette shades in Luminous Flush, Incandescent Electra, and Mood Exposure

Here's a peek at each of the shades in the palette on yours truly. 

The first shade in the palette is Luminous Flush, a warm, slightly peachy rose with a golden beige luminosity. This shade is definitely "me", in that it's vibrant, cheery, and utterly girly. 


Ambient Lighting Blush in Luminous Flush

The middle shade is Incandescent Electra, which is exclusive to this palette. It's a pale, cool-toned peach with a glowy ivory sheen. I find this shade to be understated, totally sexy, and the perfect complement to bolder lips or eyes. 


Ambient Lighting Blush in Incandescent Electra

The final shade is Mood Exposure, a permanent option from the range. It was one that I had previously ignored, thinking it fell in the "bland/boring" category. I couldn't have been more wrong! Yes, this plummy brown hue is subtle and neutral, but man is it flattering! It's become my go-to shade for work. 


Ambient Lighting Blush in Mood Exposure

So, in case you had not gleaned this so far- I'm so freakin' obsessed with this palette! Given my love of the Ambient Lighting Blushes, I knew this trio wouldn't disappoint, but even my highest expectations were exceeded. Each of these three shades is unique, flattering, and completely on par with the rest of the Ambient Lighting offerings. While I hate to sleight the rest of the blushes in my collection, I have to say that I've been reaching for this palette nearly every day since I received it. The infatuation is real!

Have you tried the Ambient Lighting Blushes? Are you tempted by this palette? What was your favourite blush formula of 2014?

Thanks for reading! xo

31 comments:

  1. I bought the palette out of curiosity but it seems that most of the colours are quite dupeable. I wasn't seeing that glowiness from the blush or the powder so I returned it!

    Stephanie | theFantasia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The packaging is so pretty! I haven't tried these yet but you are tempting me. You do the best blush swatches :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous ! I'm dying to try this palette out <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look gorgeous on you! I was so tempted to get these. This post isn't helping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehe, always happy to enable! Especially in the case of this palette :)

      Delete
  5. This is so pretty, and so easy to use! I haven't been able to put it down since I bought it back in December - this is way too awesome! I think everyone who has this uses it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that middle shade looks AMAZING on your skin!! of course it would have to be exclusive to this palette, so that means i'd have to buy the whole thing! but after seeing your awesome review, i think i'd be okay with that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee, thanks! I find it soo worth it. I reach for it almost every day! :)

      Delete
  7. So beautiful! You look amazing and the pics are great!
    ADDICT BE ICONIC

    ReplyDelete
  8. the blush looks great on you, very rosy and shimmering!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been eyeing this palette but held back because I already have mood Exposure! I will agree with you that in person in the pan it looks unflattering. I ordered mine online where it looked beautiful in the picture, so when I got it I was a little disappointed. When I tried it, I fell in love though!!
    Glad your enjoying this Jen- great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, glad it was a pleasant surprise for you! Thanks, Ashley! xo

      Delete
  10. lol I totally did spot the cat in the reflection. Then I saw you asking if we could spot one and I was like oh hell yes I did! ;)


    I'm in love with the Hourglass blushes but I oddly haven't found myself reaching for this palette as much as I thought I would. Must rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read so many great review about this palette but have yet to try it myself. Your swatches are amazing as always, I love how clear you swatch each shade. Great review, this will be mine soon! xx

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Shireen! It's totally worth checking out :)

      Delete
  12. Very beautiful!

    www.rockcomluxo.com
    www.youtube.com/natypottersena

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard so many good things about this palette but this is the first review where I've seen a blogger actually show their face with all different shades on individually. And this, finally, is what has me convinced. All three shades look gorgeous on you - subtle, luminous and pigmented, just as promised. I definitely need to add these blushes to my collection as soon as possible. Thanks for a great review.
    xox,
    Cee
    www.cocoandvera.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cee! I aim to make reviews as helpful and clear as possible. Glad I've tempted you :)

      Delete
  14. love these blushes! i have recently gotten into using blushes and these are great!
    - Andrea
    www.phdfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the blushes. And love your lip color when wearing Incandescent Electra. You're gorgeous, sweetie
    xoxo
    Liza
    www.lizacorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liza! The lip colour is Burberry Lip Velvet in Military Red :)

      Delete
  16. I really love these colors-- they almost look like a work of art!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. those blushes are so pretty! I'm actually going to be in the market soon for new blush colors so this review comes in handy! =)
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! Let me know if you pick it up :)

      Delete
  18. I don't think these showed up on me quite as nicely as they do on you, but I can see why you'd never need to purchase another blush again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic post. I love seeing all your shadows together and in combinations. I love the idea of being able to make one's own quads, palettes or whatever drawing inspiration from products.
    Luminous Blush Palette

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)