FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Tuesday 1 December 2015

Celebrating World AIDS Day with MAC Viva Glam

Hi, everyone! As many of you may know, today marks World AIDS Day. Celebrated since 1988, World AIDS marks an opportunity to recognize those who have succumbed to and who continue to fight the disease, but also the chance to celebrate the progress, the resolve, and the growing support and camaraderie rallying around the HIV/AIDS community. The reality is that there are over 34 million people worldwide living with the virus, many of whom don't have access to effective treatment. Yet World AIDS Day remains a day not only for commemoration and action, but also for joy and hope. 

This year I decided to honour World AIDS Day in the best way this beauty lover knew how- by purchasing a MAC Viva Glam Lipstick. Since 1994, MAC Viva Glam products have been designed to be bold, fabulous, and fun, while donating 100% of the proceeds to the MAC AIDS Fund. When the initiative began, it was headed by a corset-clad RuPaul at a time when AIDS was still a highly controversial, divisive issue. Since that time, the Viva Glam family has grown to produce six lipstick shades as well as collaborations with celebs like Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga, and Nicki Minaj. The spirit of the range is still decidedly bold and unapologetic and luckily there now is much less stigma surrounding the cause. Amazingly, since 1994, Viva Glam has raised over $380 million to domestic and global AIDS causes. Fantastic stuff! 


To celebrate this year, I opted for the original Viva Glam Lipstick. MAC describes the shade as a "intense brownish blue-red" with a matte finish and I have to agree. It's a rich, saturated red with both blue and brown undertones. Since it was created in 1994, it has a decidedly '90s feel, yet looks just as modern and wearable as it did on RuPaul over 20 years ago.



MAC Viva Glam Lipsticks come in the classic MAC bullet-style tubes with red detailing to signify the red ribbons of the World AIDS cause. 

Here is a swatch of MAC Viva Glam I on my inner arm (MAC NC15 skin tone)...


.... and in the context of a completed makeup look! 


Already owning Viva Glam III, V, VI, and Rihanna 2, I am so happy to welcome Viva Glam I into my stash. There are few things that make me happier than a new lipstick and supporting a good cause, so Viva Glam is an ultimate way to treat myself while contributing in a meaningful way. If you're in a similar boat, I encourage you to check out MAC's Viva Glam range. Luckily, they contribute to the MAC AIDS Fund every day of the year, so you can celebrate World AIDS Day anytime you're at a MAC counter :)

Have a beautiful, fabulous day! xo

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful shade! I have III and....I can't actually remember which other one. It's obviously been a while since I've worn it, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful red, and it works so well with your skin!

    -Alex
    A Northern Light

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I didn't know the history behind Viva glam so thanks for the brief history! This red looks beautiful on you!

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so different on you than it does on me -- it's a million times brighter and more holiday-appropriate! I look like a moody teenager when I wear it (not saying that's a bad thing, I actually feel pretty Tumblr with it on LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Il colore rosso lo amo. Bello il rossetto lo prenderei anche io.
    http://piubuonepiubelle.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  6. agreed. new lipstick + plus a good cause, nothing better. such a nice red on you! i have a hard time picking out a viva glam shade. there are a few that i like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're totally right - it really still does look modern. They chose their original colour very, VERY well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colour! I didn't actually realise MAC donatated all proceeds from these collections, so that's awesome x
    The Beauty Bloss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shade. It looks so pretty on you!!
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your lipsticks ! :)
    please follow my blog : THE COLORFUL THOUGHTS


    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a gorgeous shade on you and it's such a statement lipstick! I love it even more because it's for a very good cause!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  12. This shade looks gorgeous on you! Also it's for such a great cause too.

    - www.veebzboo.com
    - www.youtube.com/veebzboo - FASHION HAUL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Viva Glam line I have number 5, really love it. It's a nude shade. Beautiful :)

    http://www.makeerinover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful shade! I really love it. I would love to buy it for my birthday party. This year I am planning to throw a grand party at one of my favorite NYC venues. Could you please share some dress ideas too?

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)