FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Monday 14 December 2015

Festive Look of the Day #1: The Night Owl

Hi, everyone! If you saw my last post, you'll know that I'm properly obsessed with the Marc Jacobs Style Eye-Con Eyeshadow Palette in The Night Owl. I loved the unique colour combination so much at first use that it's inspired me to start a "Festive Look of the Day" series that features not-so-typical but totally holiday appropriate makeup looks. I'm a sucker for a red lip and sparkly gold eyes as much as the next guy, but sometimes it's fun to mix things up a bit this time of year! So the first look in this series revolves around The Night Owl's mix of rich gold, browns, plums, and greens. 


The eye look is all about The Night Owl- I used all seven shades from the palette to combine pops of colour with dimension and depth. I first applied perhaps the most striking colour from the palette, the metallic olive gold, all over  my lid. I then defined the crease with the chocolate brown shade and added depth to the outer corners of the eye with the matte eggplant shadow. I then took the turquoise shade and popped it on the inner third of my crease (blending up towards the brow) and along my lower lash line. To brighten the eye, I swept the matte cream shade along my brow bone and the glittery champagne on the inner corners of the eye. I finished by lining the eyes with the deep cool brown from the palette and then coating my lashes with lengthening mascara. 

To let the colourful eyes remain the star of the show, I balanced the look with peachy nude cheeks and lips. I first warmed up and added some glow to the complexion with Becca's Shimmering Skin Perfectors in Blushed Copper (along my cheekbones up to the temples) and Champagne Pop (on the high points of my face), then painted the apples of my cheeks with my favourite glowy pale peach blush, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Incandescent Electra. I then lined and filled in my lips with the best versatile lip liner out there, MAC Subculture, and added some gloss with Chanel's Levres Scintillantes Glossimer in Zephyr



The Breakdown:

Foundation: Make Up For Ever HD Ultra Fluid Foundation in Y225 Marble
Concealer: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer in Light

Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Long-Wearing Pressed Powder in 011 Creamy Natural (on t-zone) and Alima Pure Satin Finishing Powder in Keiko (lightly all over)

Blush: Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Blushed Copper (along cheekbones and temples) and Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Incandescent Electra (on apples of cheeks, blended upwards)
Highlighter: Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Champagne Pop

Brows: Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Taupe and Tinted Brow Gel in Caramel

Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion Original formula
Eye Shadow: (all from The Night Owl palette): gold shade (all over the lid), warm brown (in the crease), eggplant shade (on outer corners), turquoise shade (along lower lash line and on inner third of the crease, blended up), matte cream (on brow bone), glittery champagne (on inner corners of the eye) and dark cool brown (along upper lash line as an eyeliner)

Mascara: The HotShop Long Lash Mascara (from the Born Pretty Store)

Lip Gloss: Chanel Levres Scintillantes Glossimer in Zephyr

Lipliner: MAC Lipliner in Subculture
 

And a few more shots of the look:




While gold and turquoise eyes might not be your go-to holiday party staple, I hope this look inspires you to play around with a bit of colour this year. Because really, there are few things more festive than a healthy, vibrant, playful spirit! 

Look out for more Festive Looks of the Day to come!

Have an amazing week :)

12 comments:

  1. Holiday makeup is one of the funnest parts of the holidays! I love this unique twist on the typical smoky eye party look especially that pop of blue in the upper corner! I never would have thought to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mi piacciono i colori che hai utilizzato per questo makeup, bella la sfumatura!
    http://piubuonepiubelle.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, you wear colour eyeshadows beautifully! I wouldn't be able to pull off this look but you look so lovely!

    Reflection of Sanity | Palmer's Cocoa Butter Care Package Giveaway (Canada ONLY)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That lid shade is STUNNING on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love your colorful looks! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that gold on you! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah, this is a totally gorgeous look! It's not often that you see yellow and turquoise eyeshadow, but it looks so lovely together!

    -Alex
    A Northern Light

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving that lip colour on you! And the combination of eyeshadows you used are beautiful together. I really like the little hints of turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous look! I love the turquoise in the inner crease.

    ahintofbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous! You really pull off colourful makeup and gold shade really suits you.

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very unexpected, but super fun. I also love the lip colour.

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)