FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Saturday 5 December 2015

Look of the Day: Hello, It's Me...

Hi, everyone! The first time I watched Adele's video for "Hello", I thought "ah, this isn't as catchy as her earlier songs". Famous last words, as the song seems to have been using 75% of my cognitive space since that time. Ok, more infectious as I first thought! In addition to the song, I, like many out there, were also transfixed with Adele's flawless makeup in the video. From the perfect winged liner to the killer contour, she looked incredible! So I decided to use this makeup as inspiration for a Look of the Day. Since "Hello" was shot in black and white, I thought I'd portray my homage to Adele in the same palette. 


For reference (in case you haven't been watching the video on loop), here's the Adele "Hello" look. As you can see, it features winged liner (not too dramatic, but not subtle either), defined brows, clean lids with a shaded crease, lush lashes, contoured cheeks, and nearly-nude lips.

Still from the "Hello" video from hollywood.com

And here is my take:


In the video, Adele's complexion looks quite natural, neither too matte nor two dewy. To mimic this, I used Make Up For Ever's Ultra HD foundation, setting it with Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light. To create dimension, I dusted MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade to the high points of my face and channeled Adele's bold contour with NYX Powder Blush in Taupe along my jawline and underneath my cheekbones. I also ran Taupe down the sides of my nose, as Adele seems to have some shading there as well. There doesn't seem to be any bold blush happening in the video, so I applied just a soft touch of MAC Mineralize Blush in Dainty to the apples of my cheeks. 

For the eyes, I created shape with just three shades. I first applied a gently shimmery ivory shadow all over my lid (the ivory from Chanel's Tisse Fantaisie Quadra Shadow Quad) and then started to add dimension with MAC's Ground Brown shadow in the crease, blending outwards. For further depth, I mixed MAC Eye Shadows in Concrete and Carbon precisely to the crease, concentrating on the outer half. I also softly smudged Concrete along my lower lash line. For liner, I used Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Scotch to my upper lash line (winging it out gently) and lightly along my lower lash line, focusing on the outer half. I also lined my waterline with NYX Wonder Pencil in Light to emulate Adele's bright eyes. I then finished off with two coats of lengthening mascara (an affordable wonder from the Born Pretty Store).

The final touch was the lips! Adele's pout seemed to be light, but not totally nude, so I first lined and filled in my lips with MAC Lip Liner in Whirl, a neutral muted rose. I then topped that with MAC Satin Lipstick in Brave, a neutral mauve pink. And voila!

Here are a few more shots of the look, followed by a full breakdown of every product I used:




The Breakdown:

Foundation: Make Up For Ever HD Ultra Fluid Foundation in Y225 Marble
Concealer: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer in Light

Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte Long-Wearing Pressed Powder in 011 Creamy Natural (on t-zone) and Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light (lightly all over)

Blush: MAC Mineralize Blush in Dainty
Contour: NYX Powder Blush in Taupe
Highlighter: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscapade

Brows: Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Taupe and Tinted Brow Gel in Caramel

Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion Original formula
Eye Shadow: White shade from the Chanel Tisse Fantaisie Les Quatres Ombre Quadra Eye Shadow (all over lid an on inner corners) and MAC Eyeshadows (from the Maleficent quad) in Ground Brown (blended softly over crease, extended outwards), Concrete (for added definition in the crease and smudged along the lower lash line), and Carbon (for more shadowing on the outer portion of the crease)

Eyeliner: Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Scotch (winged out on the upper lash line and applied softly on the lower lash line and NYX Wonder Pencil in Light (along lower waterline)
Mascara: The HotShop Long Lash Mascara (from the Born Pretty Store)

Lipstick: MAC Satin Lipstick in Brave

Lipliner: MAC Whirl 
 

And a few more shots of the look (in full colour!):




This actually wasn't the first time I re-created an Adele-inspired makeup look (you can check out my previous attempts here and here) and this time around was just as fun. I connect so much with Adele's signature makeup look- the winged liner excites my love of vintage style and the contour and semi-nude lips add fresh modern touches. Since I cannot emulate her incredible voice (though I really do try, to my boyfriend's dismay), I'm always happy to channel her makeup. It never lets me down! 

Have you ever attempted to create an Adele-inspired makeup look? Have you been watching/listening to "Hello" on repeat? What celebrities inspire your makeup most?

Thanks for stopping by! xo

18 comments:

  1. Oooh yaaas gurl, WERK it. Dayum Adele looked so flawless in that vid, but actually she looks flawless all the time! You did a great job replicating the look! :)

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's gorgeous, isn't she? This was the same thing I thought when I heard the song for the first time however later on, I ended up liking it and actually keep listening her album on repeat :) You did a good job recreating this look. I like how she applies her eyeliner, everything looks stunning on her :)

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessss so glad you did this! Gorgeous, Jenn!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a classic beauty with this look! Adore it!

    Rebecca | morerebe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you totally nailed it on the winged liner, it's perfect! The overall look you created is so pretty and like you said, not to dewy but not too matte either.

    Also I just now realized how perfect Adele's eyebrows are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol I'm sitting here being like "OMG WHAT IS THAT LIP COLOUR". And it's Brave. Thank god it's Brave, cuz I already own it. MWAHAHHA! Foiled you this time Jen! TAKE THAT! ;) I always forget how nice it looks on the lips. To me, in the packaging it looks kinda dumpy. Like... too brown/dull. But it's ALWAYS gorgeous on (and the makeup artist at MAC used it on me for my wedding!).

    Gorgeous look, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I also enjoyed her makeup in that video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this song!!!! I thought the same thing when it first came out but now it's on repeat heehee. I like how for a b&w photo there's still a variety of products used to create this look. I love how your eyeliner turned out!

    xo Kat @ Katness

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have never tried an adele look but you capture it perfectly! you look stunning in both black and white and colour (I do love that lipstick on you!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look absolutely beautiful with this make up. wowwww.thefashionfraction.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic post dear! Hope you have a lovely day.

    ** I am inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


    NEW POST: Props Tools & Cosmetics Blush, Bronzer and Highlight Review and Swatches

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Nice make up. You look so pretty ^^
    Check out my new post

    http://officialseolpark.blogspot.co.id/2015/12/my-oasaps-new-year-wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look gorgeous! Definitely need to try this look for myself. Love Adele! x

    http://yourteendiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. you look stunning! saw the preview of your look on facebook a few days ago and it is beautiful! I love this look, both black and white and color, you look so much like her! beautiful! have a wonderful week! xo
    Andrea
    www.phdfashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look lovely and the makeup looks just amazing

    Nashia | MakeupandBeautyMayhem

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this glam look, especially in black and white!

    Amber
    amberbutbetter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. My brother made me listen to the song when it first came out and I was hooked immediately. I still play it way more than I should (and never while my dad is around since he goes mental since he's head it so often).
    Though I love the whole look, the black and white photos really show how amazing it is which is really confusing since you'd think makeup looks would be all about color! The eyeshadow especially looks amazing.
    Ivory Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! Your hair even matches! I've never tried an Adele look, I definitely have been meaning to try recreating red carpet looks though.

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)